Sunday, February 16, 2014

Leaving Tanzania

It was time to go - after our day safari we were dropped off at the Kilimanjaro Tanzania International Airport.  I think this tiny airport only had three gates, all of which led you to outside where you got onto steps to go on the giant airplanes that bring people to and from Kilimanjaro.   First stop was a good meal with meat.  Craving bacon, we went to the little restaurant and got burgers, mine with avocado and bacon.  I will still craving bacon afterwards because they apparently don't do bacon like we do.  (Note that I've made myself bacon for breakfast 3 days that I was back in Philly)

As I was waiting in line to check my bag, there was a woman yelling and waving at me.  She had apparently seen me on the way up the mountain and wanted to know if I had made summit.  I'd find her later to chat for the couple of hours I was by myself waiting for the plane.

Hanging around at the airport, reading my book (I got a lot of reading done on this trip), I was able to speak with Julia from Berlin, who had been in Tanzania to teach at a school that helps African women become entrepreneurs.  It was fabulous to meet so many people who had come to Tanzania to do charitable work!  My only time that I had any issue with anyone though, was when she started talking about Israel and how they don't treat the "Palestinians" well.  This was the first time that I nearly blew my top and had to calm down and walk away.  She was the first German I had met (ever) who I decided I wasn't comfortable with.  Ugh!

After an uneventful trip home on three flights, I arrived home to snowmagedden.  I knew something was going on back home - at Uhuru Summit, a woman noticed my Phillies hat (the only knit cap I could find before I left) and said to me "Yo Philly!  Be glad you're here because it's an ice storm back home and nothing's moving!"  I had been unplugged for the past 12 days and had no clue as to what was happening back home!

I've come to several conclusions on this wonderful Adventure:

1.  I'm not brain dead - I just have too much going on in my brain!
2.  I still have an attention span to read a book (see above)
3.  Traveling solo is the best way to go, because you're forced to meet people and you'll always meet great ones.
4.  Africa is a beautiful continent and the people of Tanzania are so friendly.  When they weren't laughing at us, they were laughing with us :-P
5.  Everyone needs to unplug for a while - it's renewing.
6.  I'm hooked ... ready for my next adventure!
7.  Hakuna Matata!!!!!!!

Kilimanjaro Song

No comments:

Post a Comment